July 7th, 2015
The Newport City council granted an access permit to Walmart Developer Jeff Davis Monday during its meeting. The permit is one of the final needed before Walmart can move forward.
See The Express Wednesday for the full report.
ISLAND POND â€“ Janet Osborne, a longtime fixture at the Island Pond Health Center, retired May 31, from the medical facility she worked at for 38 years.
See the story in Wednesday's Express.
Here are my top three things that went on over the past week.
1. Summer baseball is in full swing, and with several local players competing at both the Legion and Junior Legion level and having success, like the OEC Lightning's pitcher Cody Chaput, who has been dominant on the mound, you should take a chance to go see them this week in Newport.
The Lightning play at 5:30 on Tuesday, and the OEC Kings, the Legion team, will take the field on Saturday for a doubleheader starting at 12:00.
Fireworks lit up the night sky in Newport Saturday. (Photo by Christopher Roy)
See The Express Monday for many more celebration photos.
IRASBURG â€“ A search for a missing Sheffield teenager Sunday morning had a happy ending when he walked out of the woods on his own after spending much of the night in the woods.
See Monday's Express for the story.
NEWPORT CITY â€“ After nearly 35 years of delivering Northeast Kingdom babies, Dr. William Peck is retiring. He said Friday he plans to retire Friday, July 31.
See Monday's Express to read about Peck's history in Newport.
Johnny Gaudreau of the NHLâ€™s Calgary Flames and his family were in town on Thursday to visit members of the Gaudreau clan. Johnny (right) is coming off of a fantastic season where he scored 24 goals, had 40 assists, made his first All-Star Team, was a Calder Trophy nominee, and was selected to the NHL All-Rookie Team. His brother Matthew (left) is currently playing for the Boston College Eagles and is headed into his junior campaign. (Photo by Mike Olmstead)
The Newport City Council, Wednesday, hired Laura Dolgin as the new city manager.
See Friday's Express for the complete story.
A bag of smoldering hot towels burst into flames outside the Tasting Center on Main Street in Newport Monday, just before midnight.
See The Express Thursday for the complete story.