GLOVER â Fire destroyed a century-old landmark on Route 16 in Glover early Saturday morning.
Firefighters responded to a structure fire at the Conley Mill, formally known as the Green Mountain Fence Company, around 4:15 a.m. Upon arrival, they found part of a house fully engulfed. No one was in the building when the blaze broke out....
Property owner Doug Conley, who was at the scene Saturday, said he had a commercial tenant on one side of the building. The other side of the building was setup for apartments. The residential section was vacant but Conley had expected one tenant to move in Saturday. Strictly Vermont Candles was the commercial tenant.
âWeâre feeling a little bit defeated today,â said Amanda Aiken, who owns Strictly Vermont Candles with her husband Tim Aiken. The Aikens were in the process of relocating their business to the property from Danielâs Pond. âWe had moved all of our stuff in this week.â
For more about the firefighters battling the blaze in sub-zero temperatures, the destruction to the building and the future of Strictly Vermont Candles, read Monday's edition of the Newport Daily Express for Jan. 28, 2013.