Ten Newport Families Recovering After Fire

NEWPORT CITY - Elia Spates-Marquis of Memphremagog Rentals spent much of Friday dealing with donations from area residents who wanted to help the families who got displaced from their 118 Central Street apartment Thursday afternoon.“We got tons and tons of generous donations,” said Spates-Marquis early Friday afternoon. “At this point we’ve asked people to stop and call first.”Memphremagog Rentals, who owned the burnt building, refused donations of items like couches and bedding, because it would like the families to have new things. Two young children who lived in the building are set with replacement clothing and toys, Spates-Marquis said. She doesn’t want the families to be overwhelmed and suggested those who wish to help consider gift cards to local stores.The seven families who lived in a neighboring apartment building that also caught fire haven’t been as lucky. Please see The Newport Daily Express Monday for the complete story.